Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer, Nagasaki, and Writing

Well, I know it’s been a long time since I posted anything on this stupid blog, but I’ve been very busy. And that’s a good thing. I think I’m finally starting to get the hang of the whole grad student thing. I may even be balancing my passion for fiction writing with my desire to do something in International Relations.

The big news: I’m headed back to Nagasaki for the summer. Austensibly to to do some research and language study–I will do that–but also to see my girlfriend again. It should be good times.

Other big news, I’m making a lot of progress with my novel: The Ghosts of Nagasaki. And I have a draft I feel relatively happy about.

I’m still trying to drum up support for The Lexical Funk, that miscreant short story collection of mine. If you know of anyone who is willing to write a review on Amazon.com let me know. Some people have been writing reviews and that’s good, but not on Amazon, which is bad because that’s where most people go to look for books.

Here’s a tiny, tiny excerpt from The Ghosts of Nagasaki:

“The long backwards perspective one gets from the angle of word processor some years later is a tricky one. As a connoisseur of biography and autobiography I know that there is nothing less reliable than someone writing about his or her own past from his or her own perspective. And for the general welfare of those who look for the bare facts of the matter, I am obliged to stamp on the very first page, in the very first paragraph, in bold italics: All fact-seekers beware.”

No comments:

Post a Comment