Friday, July 24, 2009

The Book of Air and Shadows, John Gruber

I finally finished this book, but it took me a while.  I found it to be shallow, with weak and flawed characters. The plot was thin…focused on two men.  One an egotistical intellectual property attorney with many “issues” (he was the main character) and the other a well-meaning, somewhat timid bookstore bookkeeper. Their connection is a Shakespeare manuscript and a woman, a mysterious woman.  Now I must explain that I was intrigued by this book because I thought that it would be of the same ilk as “Shadow of the Wind” and “The Rule of Four”, both literary intrigue novels. I was sorely mistaken to put this one into the same category.  I found, when finished, that the plot was really secondary. The book was more a self-centered search into the egotistical and troubled psyche of Jake Mishkin.  I will say, on a positive note, that at times, Jake Mishkin made me laugh in his writing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment