Monday, February 1, 2010

Listen by Rene Gutteridge

I spent most of my weekend devouring a book. From prologue to the last page I was fascinated by the story Rene Gutteridge weaved. At first the book moved slowly but the plot was good enough to keep me interested. By page 100 I could not put the book down. The town of Marlo is like my small town and I soon found myself pondering if what happened in Listen could happen here. It could. What happened in Marlo could happen any where….to a family, to your job, to a ministry. Words. They have such power. As Rene Gutteridge reminds us…they have the power of life and death. Not only was this a superbly told story but it also reminded me that my words are powerful…given the opportunity I can hurt someone or uplift someone. And more than that…I have the power to listen…listen to the words others are saying…and be aware that maybe they are trying to tell you something.

Life and Death are indeed in the power of the tongue. And words are as permanent as ink pen on a password. -Rene Gutteridge

If you enjoy a suspenseful superbly written story that will also make you think then I suggest Rene Gutteridge’s newest book, Listen.

**********************************************

Nothing ever happens in the small town of Marlo . . . until the residents begin seeing their private conversations posted online for everyone to read. Then it’s neighbor against neighbor, friend against friend, as paranoia and violence escalate. The police scramble to identify the person responsible for the posts and pull the plug on the Website before it destroys the town. But what responsibility do the people of the town have for the words they say when they think no one is listening? Life and death are in the power of the tongue.

Buy Listen.

Read the first chapter.

**Thank You Tyndale House Publishers for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book.

[Via http://crittyjoy.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment