Friday, March 12, 2010

Bachelor Boys by Kate Saunders

I picked up this book years ago while I was in a bookstore, I had no idea who Kate Saunders was, I love cherries and the cover got my attention. I have been looking for other books by Saunders with no luck and finally I turned to amazon. This it’s an obscure piece of chick-lit, unfortunately so because it’s a brilliant book, fresh and wise (don’t be discouraged by Jilly Cooper’s advise on the cover, I know I would be).

Bachelor BoysPhoebe Darling is dying of leukemia and worried about what will become of her ”boys” — 30-ish sons Ben and Fritz, sweet artistic types with no particular plans to leave home so she  turns to Cassie for help.  Cassie’s family used to live close to the Darlings but  wasn’t as happy so she used to seek childhood refuge with the motherly Phoebe and her family.

Cassie, now 31, has her act together , she runs a highbrow British literary mag, has an upstanding boyfriend, all of which makes her the perfect person to find the Darling boys suitable wives so Phoebe turns to her for help.

Will Cassie help her sons, a pair of incorrigible bachelors, find wives to look after them? They are gorgeously handsome, but they are also unemployed and still living in their mother’s basement. How will she ever find decent girlfriends, let alone wives, for these wildly sexy, and wildly impractical, bachelor boys?

I read this book twice (it’s that good) and sometimes I just feeling like browsing into it for half an hour or so. It’s engaging without being superficial, you will feel compassionate, angry, crushed and awkward as characters develops into their stories. I can’t recommend this highly enough and it would make a great movie.

My grade: 10/10

Em

[Via http://emilyborges.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment