Friday, April 17, 2009

Book Review: Need by Carrie Jones

Review:

** spoiler alert **

Well, what can I say…

I read Need because I LOVE Faeries, and with it’s synopsis/review on bn.com I thought it’d be a new love; however…

I really WANTED to like this book more, but just couldn’t.. I can see why it is so well like and it’s not bad, in fact Carrie Jones is wildly creative, and I enjoyed her concept of “pixies” and their vampiric qualities.

But her unique writing style left me wanting more, more build up, more stress, more anything! It was choppy and awkwardly informal. It felt like I was reading a diary, not a novel. (Which may appeal to some).

On a brighter note, though, I did enjoy some of her characters. Zara’s grandmother made me laugh out loud almost every time she appeared, and I enjoy her friends Issie and Devyn as well.

She uses a lot of foreshadowing to later things to be revealed which are not well veiled; however, even realizing what was probably going to happen, Carrie Jones’ writing compels you further along the plot. Yet even then the plot was too easy and at times felt like saying out loud, “Really? that’s it?”

I do not feel like Need was a complete waste of time, and I did enjoy it, but I can say by the end I was ready to move on.

Plot: * * *

Characters: * * * *

Writing: * * *

Overall: * * *

Cover: * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment