Friday, April 17, 2009

It's a Mom - Shefali Tsabary

This was a present from my brother to a new mom - Me. I started this book with a lot of enthusiasm. I wanted to know how another new mom felt. I had my own emotions alright, but was curious to know if other mothers felt the same way I did.

The book starts with pregnancy - how the author realized that she is pregnant, how she went through those nine months and goes on to talk about eventually having a baby and bringing it up. The book  covers topics like breastfeeding, weaning, potty training, pacifiers, terrible twos, toddler tantrums and so on.

The author complains about people giving out unwanted advice to new mothers, but she does exactly that. She could just narrate what she went through and leave the audience to decide what they want to do when they are in a similar situation. Just because some methods worked for her and her baby, they may not work for every child in this world. I will ask her to try the same methods with her second baby. She will be surprised to see how (in)effective they prove to be. And just by having a baby, the author doesn’t turn into a know-it-all.  The author takes an authoritative tone throughout the book, which I found very irritating.

While it was interesting to read the author’s views, I noticed a pessimistic undercurrent throughout the book. I know motherhood is not a bed of roses. Yes, there are sleepless nights, incessant crying,  handling tantrums and losing one’s personal life, but motherhood is also about toothless smiles, cooing, snuggling, cuddling, wet kisses and warm hugs. Where does the author talk about all these? An extended case of PPD, may be?

If you are planning to start a fmaily or already on the way, please stay away from this book. You will feel like you have gotten yourself into a mess! And new moms, if you think you can handle so much pessimism, then only read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment