Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Wild Ride Through the Night

Having read several books by Moers (Rumo and his Wonderous Adventures, The 13.5 lives of Captain Bluebear, The City of Dreaming Books), I was thrilled to stumble upon another one.  This one, however, was fundamentally different from the others.

Moers took several works by Gustav Dore (an artist I had never heard of prior to reading this book), and used them to create the plot for his book.   I have never heard of an author doing this (that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been done), and I think it is an amazing idea.  

As excited as I was about the premise of the book, I have to admit that it didn’t live up to my expectations.   Maybe it’s because I was utterly spoiled by the genius in Rumo (seriously, it is AMAZING), or maybe it’s because I just wasn’t in the right mood, but I found this book difficult to stay involved in.  

I would still recommend it, however, because the illustrations are amazing, and I am still excited about the way that it was written. 

 

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment