Thursday, October 1, 2009

Book Review: Jeff Vande Zande

If readers of Five Fishes have figured me out at all, they might understand that I kind of have a thing for fish. Guilty. Maybe a little bit because of this, Michigan writer Jeff Vande Zande’s book Into the Desperate Country is one of my favorites. It’s got plenty of river and plenty of fish for me.

Aside from the gills and the ripples, though, this is an intimate look at a man who doesn’t quite know what he wants in life, but knows that it’s not what he’s got at the moment. He flees his city life and ditches it for a simpler one. But, his indecisions get him into some trouble along the way. It’s really a battle between self and self-induced situation. Which, in case anybody is wondering, I love.

Though the book is a bit slow, it’s just the right pace for the subject. It’s outdoors-y, personal, and captivating. I recommend this book to just about anyone who isn’t one-hundred-percent sure about their life.

- C.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment