Monday, October 12, 2009

Kristin Cashore's <i>Graceling</i>

**spoiler alert**

I was sucked in immediately. I always appreciate a strong female character, and Graceling didn’t disappoint on that front. I loved the relationships between her and the other characters. All characters and relationships were different, and all were delightful in their own way.

All the same, it bugged me that she never settled into herself. Like many good protagonists do, she goes on a journey about self-discovery that is beautiful, and complex, and totally fun to follow. Then at the end, when she’s mostly figured herself out, instead of making the sacrifices necessary to be with the one she loves, in order to grow together with him, she decides that she’s going to continue her journey alone and basically kicks his butt back to his house.

To be fair, she announces her intentions to never tie herself to anyone, all through the book. I thought that once she didn’t need to focus on herself so much that she might be able to give to someone else. I guess I was just hoping for a less selfish ending to an otherwise delightful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment