Friday, November 27, 2009

Treasure Island Review

Treasure IslandIt Begins: “Squire Trelawney, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17– and go back to the time when my father kept the “Admiral Benbow” inn and the brown old seaman with the sabre cut first took up his lodging under our roof.”

And it Ends with: “The bar silver and the arms still lie, for all that I know, where Flint buried them; and certainly they shall lie there for me. Oxen and wainropes would not bring be back again to that accursed island; and the worst dreams that ever I have are when I hear the surf booming about its coasts or start upright in bed with the sharp voice of Captain Flint still ringing in my ears: “Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!”

It is 191 pages and it took me 16 days.

I would recommend this book to every male I know. And females can read it too. I emphasized the ‘male’ audience because Stevenson himself said he wrote the tale for boys.  The ideal audience for this book, in my humble opinion, would be boys 14 and older. That is only because some of the paragraphs seem to throw me off of what is happening. At these times you need to read with faith, because 3 sentences down the page it’ll all make sense.

What I got out of this book is a lot of enjoyment and an increased suspicion of all men with a wooden leg. It is a great story and a classic for a reason. I also love the way it is written. The sentences describe more than the words they are made of… similar to the words ’splash’ and ‘goo’. Treasure Island has everything that makes a great tale great: adventure, a goal, good versus evil, death, lots of different characters, excitement, deception, battles, and an underlying morality. This book also gives me a proper basis to judge all of the pirate stories and TV shows that I grew up on. I fully agree that this is a book that every man should read. And I’ll probably read it again.

[Via http://jakereads.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment