Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Book Review: The Inklings of Oxford

The Inklings of Oxford: C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and Their Friends by Harry Lee Poe

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Inklings of Oxford: C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and Their Friends (Paperback)

by Harry Lee Poe

http://astore.amazon.com/pastomusin-20/detail/0310285038

ISBN-10: 0310285038

ISBN-13: 978-0310285038

It has been a while since I have read anything of C.S. Lewis’. I am, however, listening to an audio course that carries one through the life and works of C.S. Lewis. Lewis was a very interesting man, and his writings are the same. One can learn much by reading the writings of Lewis. It is for this reason that I’m glad to have been offered this opportunity to review The Inklings of Oxford.

First of all, I must say that this book is in the form of a coffee table book. It is well bound and in a durable cover.

The photography is excellent. All the while that I read the book I was wishing I could be in Oxford seeing all of the places that are pictured in the book.

Each photo has a caption that tells of the relationship between the place photographed and the Inklings.

The text is very well written and engages the reader enough to bring them into the lives of the Inklings and help them know and understand both them and their background.

I am not sure how one would classify this book. It is to some extent biographical, but it is not the biography of any particular person; it is about the Inklings. It is to some extent historical, but it is not the history of a nation or a city; it is about the Inklings. It is not photography only; again, it is about the Inklings. Perhaps we should give it a genre of its own and simply call it the genre of the Inklings?

I do know this, however, whether one already knows all there is to know about Lewis, Tolkien, and the other Inklings, or whether they are new to the subject, this book is a wonderful read and an excellent overview of this group.

I heartily recommend it to lovers of Lewis and Tolkien.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment