Monday, September 28, 2009

To Mr. Dekker:

You are a brilliant writer.

Reading Black, Red, and White, I was (and am) astounded at your ability to weave a compelling plot, create a plethora of flesh and blood characters, and bring it all together in such a way that the reader never stops to realize it’s nothing more than words on paper.  You communicate clearly, beautifully, creatively.  That’s amazing, and I love it.

So I read Green.

Maybe I missed the memo.  Because I wasn’t aware that Green would be “Twilight meets the Circle Trilogy.“

I don’t appreciate an excess of blood and gore, when as much could be accomplished via other means.  I don’t appreciate sappy romances between a human and—oh, speaking of which, I also don’t appreciate your efforts to include the descendants of Alucard. I’m not a normal seventeen year old.  I don’t have a crush on Edward Cullen and I don’t want to read about his relatives.

It doesn’t really matter to me if Green is yet another literary masterpiece.  I was disappointed not with the writing, but with the slow closing of the gap between the Circle books and modern fiction junk.  Don’t cater to the Twilight crowd.  I’ve read plenty of good books that manage to get by without the inclusion of a vampire.

Sincerely,

Beth Maisano

No comments:

Post a Comment