Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Eating Opah

So I had a Hawaian fish called “Opah” while in Idaho at the Cottonwood Grille restaurant. First have to say that this was a great place to eat if you are ever in Boise, ID. Great atmosphere and food. I generally have no use for beef or red meat selections. There are cows everywhere and I don’t have to travel 500 miles to eat prime rib. So I tend to go local or seafood.

Well, on the menu were a couple of intruiging seafood choices, Opah, and something else–a fish described as a deep Pacific fish. Let’s just say I’m not going to run into these options back in DC on regular basis. So I went for the Opah. 

So here’s the general deal with Opah. It was really moist and the flavor was very good. The problem with eating a fish once is that you can’t easily separate its flavor from the sauce. So I would need a couple more tries to ferret out its distinctiveness. But it was a delicious meal. 

Here’s what they look like:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

According to the linked website, these things range in weight from 60-200 lbs. Now my initial question when I see something that looks like this is, who came up with the idea that this would be delicious to eat?  Pretty gross, but I’m glad someone stepped up.

BTW, sometimes we think of fish eating as pretty obvious, but I note that Jared Diamond, in his book, Collapse, talks of the Greenland Viking population that died out of starvation in a couple of centuries becuase they had a taboo against eating fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment