Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Review of You Don't Know Crazy by Wambui Bahati

This is a story about a woman that went from performing live on Broadway to being on welfare. But, this isn’t just another story of a fallen diva from fame. There are a lot of deep underlying issues that shapes Wambui Bahati’s biography.

Wambui Bahati was diagnosed with manic depressive illness at the age of 43. The story talks about some of Bahati low points in her life. Many women will be able to relate to dealing with mental illness and the different struggles of dealing with life.

There are many characters that make up a story and it’s not any different with “You Don’t Know Crazy”. Bahati talks about her family, friends, ex-husband and other people she meet along the way. Bahati talks about her childhood and growing up in the south during the 50’s. I can really relate to different parts of Bahati’s story. For example, I can relate to her religious background and growing up in the south. I had a similar religious background and I grew up in the south. I can remember the church and family members telling me to live my life right or I would burn in hell. Bahati had a similar experience and didn’t know what was right or wrong. Eventually, she was able to follow everyone else.

Also, I like that “You Don’t Know Crazy” doesn’t come off as preachy or self righteous. There have been many times that I have heard people say be positive or you should be inspired by this person success. I can remember reading a part in the book when Bahati was reading a self help book and she was so frustrated that she threw the book across the room. It was really hard for her to listen to inspirational quotes when she had problems paying the bills.

I know some people will find it shocking that Wambui Bahati had mental illness problems and was in different mental illness facilities. There are many people and families dealing with mental illness. Most of the time people don’t even realize that there is a mental illness problem.

Wambui Bahati’s story is so powerful and she is able to rise above it all. Also, this book is for anyone that’s dealing with mental illness and it will inspire you to want overcome it.

If you like to know more about dealing with mental illness or the book, please visit You Don’t Know Crazy

[Via http://oho321.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment